Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Football Can Take You Back

It may have been about 25 years ago, but there are a lot of ways that this Labor Day Weekend was very reminiscent of a fall weekend when I was growing up.

You see, when I grew up there wasn't a football game on every channel every day of the week. Friday nights were reserved for going to a high school football game, Saturday mornings consisted of scouring the Arkansas Gazette and the Arkansas Democrat (pre-merger, of course) for results and game stories for the high school games, and Saturday afternoons or evening were reserved for yard work and Razorback football on KSSN 96.

There wasn't a whole lot better than a cool, crisp Friday night followed by a cool Saturday with dad. We'd hop in the pickup or the '87 Red Suburban to run errands during the day and turn on Paul Eells at night.

Turn the clock forward about 25 years to this past weekend and the shoe was on the other foot.

I was the one taking the kids to the high school game on Friday night, I was the one doing most of the yard work on Saturday and I was the one driving my son and I around on errands that afternoon.

It ended with a radio on in the backyard switching back and forth between two football games. It also featured a highly-contested one on one football game between my almost 6-year old son and I with the game on in the background.

I know all Saturdays won't be like that during the fall, but it sure was nice to have that one to bring back old memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment