Friday, November 26, 2010

Speaking for the Little Man and the Playoff Fan: "Roll Tide" and "Bear Down Arizona"

As I watch today's "Iron Bowl" football game between Auburn and Alabama, I have no dog in the fight. I don't call anybody a "Bammer" or a "Barner" and I don't walk around randomly screaming out "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle." I enjoy the Iron Bowl and understand the history and tradition of the whole event.

This time as I watch, though, I do have a team that I hope wins. It doesn't have anything to do with not liking Nick Saban or thinking that Cam Newton is playing for Auburn after being illegally recruited. It doesn't have anything to do with thinking that an Auburn win will help my team make a better bowl or hoping that Alabama gets beat again after winning it all last year.


It has everything to do with wanting to see a playoff in college football's FBS Bowl Subdivision. I'll detail why a playoff is the best option some other time, but I know I'm not alone.

It seems to me that the only way a playoff will become a real possibility is if the big boys of college football are left out of the BCS Championship game. I can't imagine that the Presidents and Chancellors of the BCS conferences will keep the current system if they don't have a representative in the championship.

Right now, Auburn and Oregon are the bodyguards making sure that Boise State and TCU don't crash the BCS party. It's more than likely that Boise State and TCU will run the table and finish the 2010 season undefeated therefore remaining among the top contenders to make the BCS title game.

The only way they can move up is if the "bodyguards" lose.

So, here's to the bodyguards getting beaten up today -- or at least just becoming unable to keep the little man from crashing the party. If Alabama can beat Auburn and Arizona can beat Oregon, things just might get interesting.

With that being said, "Roll Tide" and "Bear Down Arizona". Let's help make room for the little man, so we can shake up the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment